I love Potato and Carrot soup. This recipe is a throwback to my childhood. It was one of my mums favourite recipes and we had it all the time as I was growing up. I now realise it’s probably because it’s ridiculously quick and easy to make and only costs pennies as well. It also has the advantage of being completely vegan and totally syn free when you are following Slimming World. I eat it a lot now because it is such a simple lunch, and there are always a couple of portions frozen in the freezer. It’s one of my comfort foods, possibly because it reminds me of my childhood, and my mummy, who died in 2008.
- 500g White Potatoes
- 8-9 carrots
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- Salt and Pepper
How do you make it?
- Spray a large saucepan with Frylight. Put the onions in it and lightly fry them until they are soft.
- Meanwhile peel the potatoes and the carrots and chop them into cubes about 1cm wide.
- Put them into the saucepan with the onions and cover in water. How much water you use depends on how watery you like your soup. If in doubt, go less and then add more later on if needed. I like my soup quite watery though. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Add the stock cubes and bring to the boil. Leave to simmer until all the vegetables are soft.
- When it is cooked either blend the soup (for a smooth soup) or mash with a potato masher (for a chunky soup). I always mash mine as I love it chunky but this is down to personal preference.
As you can see Potato and Carrot soup is really easy to make. Soup is brilliant for Slimming World as most soups are free. They’re really tasty and filling as well. Win/Win in my opinion!